Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Class Example of Expository Writing

*This example was written by Mrs. Gwaltney and her third graders! Notice our clear argument sentence, good details and strong word choice.

The warm sauce cascaded down my throat followed by the tangy parmesan and slithery noodles.  Mmm…Delicious!  Oh, I’m sorry – I didn’t see you there!  What am I eating, you ask?  Well – I am eating spaghetti and meatballs.  It is the best food ever because of the taste, it is healthy and it is inexpensive.

Spaghetti and meatballs taste fantastic!  The cheese is tangy and melts in my mouth.  The thick and rich sauce has chunky vegetables.  My meatballs are crispy on the outside.  The juice explodes in my mouth when I bite.

It is also a healthy meal.  You can use different types of meat for the meatballs.  I use turkey because it is healthy.  Whole wheat noodles make it even healthier!  I also pile loads of vegetables in the sauce – spicy onions, sweet peppers and juicy tomatoes.

Last, spaghetti is inexpensive.  It makes a lot of food, so there are leftovers for lunches later in the week.  When shopping at the store, these ingredients (especially noodles!) are cheap.  I can also make it quickly, so I don’t have to waste money by ordering take out on a busy night.

Spaghetti and meatballs are the best meal because it is healthy, inexpensive and it tastes delicious.  You need to go try some RIGHT THIS SECOND!

1 comment:

  1. This is terrific writing guys and gals, keep it up! I vote for donuts, cake, and pudding - Abe's Dad

    ReplyDelete